Well, it’s been an interesting election cycle, with a lot of strong feelings one way or the other! As my daughter says, “I’m feeling all the feels.” I know she’s not alone, and I also know I’m not alone when I say it’s time to celebrate living in America and all things American! Despite all of the negativity we’ve seen in the news and on social media, we have a lot to be thankful for. Need I remind you it’s November, the month of Thanksgiving?!
When we go around the table and say something we’re thankful for (does every family do this, and do all kids hate this tradition?), I’m hoping that “living in America” will be part of the gratitude that is shared. My niece Leslie is such a good example of pure patriotism and with her permission I’m sharing her Facebook post: “I love being an American. I love the diversity of our people. I love our history. I love our lands and the amazing beauty found there. I love when we are unified in cause and patriotism. This is a wonderful place full of wonderful people that we call home! May we every day do our part to protect it, preserve it, make it a better place and may we show each other more kindness and compassion regardless of differences.”
With that thought, let’s get back to celebrating America – my favorite way to celebrate ANYTHING is by baking cookies! Today, I started with our Sisters’ Gourmet Yankee Doodle Dandy Candy cookie mix and decided to have a little fun with it. What’s better than cookies with candy pieces (M&M’s)??? Adding peanut butter of course! These yummy bars are amazing and a fun variation to any basic chocolate chip cookie mix, and they were extremely easy to make.
Here’s how simple it is:
- Simply prepare the cookie dough as directed, and press half of it into an 8×8 pan.
- Blend 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 cup of peanut butter, and 1 tsp vanilla, then spread/press it over the cookie mix.
- Finally, sprinkle the rest of the dough on top.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars. Enjoy!
I thought these turned out pretty good, but let me know what you think! And I’m trying to keep new ideas on this blog, so check back often for new recipes.
- 1 jar of cookie mix, prepared per directions as dough
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Divide cookie dough in half. Press half into the prepared pan.
- Press peanut butter mixture over the dough.
- Crumble the remaining dough evenly on top.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting
- I used Yankee Doodle Dandy Candy cookie mix from Sisters' Gourmet, but any cookie mix should work fine.